What is Torsoplasty
Torsoplasty, or back plastic surgery, removes sagging skin accumulated on the back and flanks. This plastic surgery is a solution for patients who seek to reshape the body outline.
It may be performed in conjunction with other procedures, such as abdominoplasty (plastic surgery of the abdomen) and liposuction or fat grafting (removal of excess fat).
The entire process will depend on the patient’s general state of health and the need for other procedures. Concerning a weight loss diet or bariatric surgery, it is necessary to wait a minimum period of six months before performing a torsoplasty or any other plastic surgery, as this is the minimum period to stabilize body weight.
Who is a good candidate for torsoplasty?
The procedure is indicated for people who have lost significant amounts of weight, resulting in excess flabby skin and fat on the lower part of the back and flanks (sides). This is a problem that mainly affects people who are overweight or obese. Losing a lot of weight after a diet or bariatric surgery results in sagging in the abdominal region, back, arms and legs. Therefore, the skin tends to form folds that, in addition to the negative aesthetic effect, may cause rashes, infections and mycoses.
What are the expected results of a torsoplasty surgery?
The results of a torsoplasty will depend on the patient’s general health status. But in general, after the procedure, the patient feels less discomfort caused by excess skin. The appearance of the torso is smoother, younger and leaner. In addition, the surgery helps to improve self-esteem.
How is a torsoplasty surgery performed?
Performed in an operating theater by a specialized doctor, torsoplasty is similar to the procedure for operating the abdomen. It also takes an average of 2 to 3 hours to be finished. Closure of the incisions is performed with classic surgical stitching techniques and the patient can be discharged between 6 and 8 hours after the procedure.
Discover the step-by-step of torsoplasty surgery:
- Anamnesis: An appointment with the healthcare professional is scheduled to assess and propose the ideal treatment.
- Anesthesia: Considering the evaluation of each case the surgical team generally uses general or epidural anesthesia in a torsoplasty.
- Hospitalization: The patient usually stays in the hospital for 24 hours between admission and medical discharge when the postoperative evolution occurs without complications.
- Incisions: The incision is made at the buttock line. This way, the scar will be hidden under the underwear and bathing suits. If liposuction is necessary, the cannulas can be inserted into the torsoplasty incisions and no other cuts need to be made.
- Post-surgery: The recovery process after a torsoplasty takes approximately 30 days and the patient is required to commit to the postoperative care. This does not mean spending the day in bed rest, but it is necessary to follow the surgeon’s recommendations, as they will contribute to a quicker healing process. For example, if they patient’s job does not require physical effort, it is possible to resume activities a week after the torsoplasty. This is the case for professionals who work in offices. However, the patient will not be able to drive for three weeks and will have to do light exercise, which will be recommended by the doctor.
We take care of every detail in your medical trip
The first step is choosing the ideal procedure. Select a physician and schedule an initial appointment so we can get to know you better and assess your health. We will be ready to accompany and guide you on the following steps.
Rest assured: we will define all the details of your journey together, from your arrival in Brazil to your trip back home. During this follow-up, we will have the chance to choose the appropriate hotel or SPA, according to the procedure chosen. At Medical Travel Brazil, everything is planned to meet your needs.
Medical Travel Package
Includes transfers from and to:
Airport + Hotel + Clinic + Hospital
Hotel or SPA post surgery
Exclusive Concierge Service
Highly qualified medical team
Meet our professionals
We have some of the best surgeons in Brazil to provide our clients with the safety of performing their long-awaited surgery with renowned professionals, chosen by the patients themselves.